Evan W. Bolla
Evan W. Bolla is a partner and general counsel for the Firm. Trusted for his efficiency and his practical legal and business judgment, Evan represents companies and individuals in insurance, executive employment, professional malpractice, and general commercial disputes and litigation.
Evan’s insurance and professional defense practice focuses on identifying and obtaining coverage, advancement, and indemnification for his clients to defer or eliminate the costs of litigation, and defending professionals against claims of malpractice, negligence, and fraud. He has litigated over one hundred legal and accounting malpractice and related claims involving a wide range of professional practices including commercial litigation, real estate, construction, trusts and estates, criminal defense, accounting, and tax. Evan leverages his previous experience representing insurance companies on behalf of clients to effectively seek all available advancement and indemnification benefits. Evan also provides counsel to companies regarding the scope of coverage under their insurance portfolios.
In his employment and general commercial practice, Evan has successfully represented C-Suite executives, attorneys, partnerships, and public and private companies in negotiations, arbitrations, and litigations. Evan also advises executives in negotiating the key terms of employment, stock, and severance agreements.
Because of his experience and familiarity with New York civil practice, Evan is often retained as local counsel in high-stakes matters in New York State Courts.
Evan has been named a Super Lawyers’ Rising Star each year since 2015.
Representative matters include:
Insurance, Advancement, and Indemnification
- Obtained arbitral award advancing legal fees for the CEO of an investment advisor charged by the SEC with violations of the Investment Advisors Act (Award)
- Currently representing McGraw-Hill in a significant dispute against its carrier regarding coverage for series of copyright infringement claims
- Secured coverage for the criminal defense of an attorney indicted on federal fraud charges after the carrier’s initial denial of coverage
- Secured coverage for the civil defense of brokerage firm for tortious interference with contract claims after the carrier’s initial denial of coverage
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of widow against a carrier disclaiming life insurance for failure to pay premiums
- Successfully obtained appellate reversal ordering dismissal of legal malpractice and fraud claims against a law firm regarding the firm’s creation and management of an intentionally defective grantor trust – Pace v. Raisman & Associates, Esqs., LLP, 95 A.D.3d 1185, (2d Dep’t 2012)
- Obtained a pre-answer dismissal, affirmed on appeal, on behalf of a Virginia based law firm – WIN Radio Broad. Corp. v. Fletcher, Heald & Hildreth, PLC, 94 A.D.3d 985 (2d Dep’t 2012)
Employment and Partnership Disputes, and Commercial Litigation
- On behalf of Honeywell, successfully defeated efforts by a former Director to void non-compete and non-solicit provisions in his employment agreement
- On behalf of Medley Global Advisors, successfully enjoined a former employee and his new employer from soliciting Medley’s clients
- Obtained release of non-compete and non-solicit covenants on behalf of senior manager for a litigation funding firm
- Successfully settled a dispute between law firm partners regarding transition of numerous clients representing over $2 million in annual business
- Awarded summary judgment in suit concerning $1.2 million promissory note
- Negotiated settlement of fraudulent transfer claims brought by Securities Investor Protection Corporation against management of brokerage firm for less than 15% of stated value of claims
Evan received his undergraduate degree cum laude from the American University, Washington D.C. He earned his juris doctor degree from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law – Yeshiva University where he was both a Dean’s Distinguished Scholar and Associate Editor of the Law Review. During law school, Evan served as a judicial intern to Judge Kimba Wood, Southern District of New York and as a mediator in New York Small Claims and Civil Courts.