- Managing Partner
Jonathan Harris is the founder and managing partner of Harris, St. Laurent and Chaudhry LLP. Trained as a trial lawyer, and having extensive business and financial experience, he is equally successful in the courtroom and in business negotiations.
Mr. Harris represents plaintiffs and defendants as lead counsel in litigations, arbitrations, negotiations and investigations, and specializes in going head-to-head against the U.S. Government, and in cases involving the world’s largest corporations and financial institutions.
In addition, Mr. Harris regularly advises family offices, investment companies, founders, and executives in employment matters, litigation and business negotiations.
Mr. Harris has been named a Super Lawyer for eight consecutive years; American Lawyer’s Co-Litigator of the Week; has been rated as one of the Best Attorneys in America; and named as a two-time winner of ACQ Global Award’s Gamechanger of the Year for Litigation in New York; a two-time winner of Corporate LiveWire’s Global Award Winner for Investor Litigation; to The National Trial Lawyers list of Top 100 Trial Lawyers in New York; and to the Nation’s Top One Percent list by The National Association of Distinguished Counsel. He is currently a member of the Board of Visitors of Stanford Law School.
Mr. Harris’ recent trial victories and significant representations include:
- The complete exoneration of a prominent financial advisor against all charges brought by the SEC following a multi-year investigation, a month long federal jury trial and all appeals;
- Winning a $61 million arbitration award for a hedge fund against a major international bank relating to the settlement of a complex hedge fund based derivative; the award is amongst the largest all-time granted by a FINRA panel;
- Winning a $20 million jury award for the Learning Annex in federal court in New York, and then, after a new trial was awarded on damages, winning a larger verdict of $21.8 million on re-trial against one of New York’s most prominent defense firms;
- Successfully resolving an international forfeiture action brought by the United States Department of Justice against the family of the former President of the Republic of China (Taiwan);
- Successfully resolving a Black Friday internet gambling action brought by the United States Department of Justice against a world-renowned poker player;
- Negotiating a $50 million seed investment in a start-up hedge fund for a family office; and
- Arbitrating and negotiating a resolution for the founder of a well known start-up company of a dispute concerning the ownership and market value of pre-IPO shares.
Mr. Harris is a 1984 graduate of Stanford University, Phi Beta Kappa, and a 1987 graduate of Stanford Law School, Order of the Coif. Prior to founding the firm, he worked closely with legendary trial lawyer Peter Fleming, Jr. at Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP, and practiced with prominent plaintiffs’ firm Bernstein Litowitz Berger & Grossman LLP. In 2005, Mr. Harris served as lead clemency counsel for Stanley Tookie Williams.
Mr. Harris clerked for Federal Judge Thomas P. Griesa in the Southern District of New York, and is admitted to the bars of New York and California.