Criminal Defense and Regulatory
Harris, St. Laurent & Chaudhry defends individuals, corporate employees, hedge funds and businesses against state and federal criminal prosecutions, in internal investigations, and in regulatory actions. Our attorneys, through their careers as prosecutors and defense counsel, have achieved meaningful victories and positive resolutions in defending regulatory actions and criminal charges, ranging from financial fraud to major felonies and misdemeanors.
Our practice is divided into federal criminal and regulatory defense, and state court criminal defense.
Federal Criminal and Regulatory
Our federal criminal and regulatory practice focuses on investigations, the defense of federal white collar prosecutions, and the defense of civil actions brought by the Department of Justice or the Securities and Exchange Commission. Firm partners Jonathan Harris, Andrew St. Laurent and Julie Withers all have extensive experience and a record of success representing individuals and businesses charged with serious fraud, deceptive conduct, market manipulation, securities violations, corruption, and violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Representative Federal Criminal and Regulatory Cases
Current and recent federal defense representations by our attorneys include:
- The family of the former president of Taiwan in civil in rem forfeiture actions brought by the U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”) against properties in the United States, relating to bribery allegations brought by Taiwanese authorities
- An individual facing civil forfeiture allegations brought by the Department of Justice in connection with the operation of an on-line poker company
- The successful trial defense of an individual broker charged by the SEC with violations of the anti-fraud provisions of the federal securities laws relating to mutual fund market timing
- Defense of an individual in a regulatory matter initiated by the Federal Trade Commission
- Senior vice president of reinsurance company in fraud investigation by U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”) and SEC
- Energy trader indicted on felony extortion charges in federal court ultimately recharged to a misdemeanor
- Senior investment bank executive investigated by the DOJ in an auction-rate securities probe
- Officer of large mutual fund in SEC investigation of gifts and gratuities practices and insider trading allegations
- Representation of employees of a broker-dealer in a FINRA auction-rate securities investigation
- Representation of an individual defendant in the Galleon insider trading case
- Successful defense of a government contractor in several international arbitrations arising out of a USAID project
State Court Criminal
Our state court practice, led by Andrew St. Laurent, handles the full range of state court criminal cases from financial fraud and major felonies to driving while intoxicated and drug possession. Mr. St. Laurent has represented hundreds of individuals charged with New York state felonies and misdemeanors during his career. In addition to numerous successful pre-trial resolutions, he has won full acquittals at trial for clients charged with larceny, fraud, driving while intoxicated, and other major felonies. Mr. St. Laurent and his team handle these matters discreetly, professionally, and with excellent results.
Representative State Court Criminal Cases
Current and recent Harris, St. Laurent & Chaudhry state court criminal representations include:
- Defense of fraud charges brought by the New York State Comptroller and Bronx County District Attorney’s Office against a child healthcare company
- Trial defense of gunpoint robbery and multiple other felonies
- Trial defense of multiple domestic violence felonies
- Marijuana possession defense